We are living in a digitally-oriented era where everything is online. It means that if your website doesn’t look good, people will simply move on to a competitor who does.
According to web statistics, in 2021, 48% of web visitors say a website’s design is the #1 essential element that helps determine a business’s credibility.
If you desire your online business to thrive and grow, then it’s time for you to hire a UI/UX developer or designer. Besides, it’s also essential to hire someone who is skilled and understands your vision for the company. If we follow the world’s greatest business giants- Steve Jobs words about web design, he says:
Besides, many reasons justify why it’s crucial to hire the best UI/UX designer for your online business; here are some:
Highlights of Contents
Advantages Of Having Good UI/UX Design Service Providers For Your Business
- High Conversion Rates: This is the first and foremost advantage. If you hire a UI/UX designer who knows what they’re doing, then your website will look great, be easy to navigate through, have no errors or glitches, etc., all of which can lead to higher sales conversions for your business.
- Higher Website Traffic: When you hire a UI/UX designer, they will make your website get higher rankings and more site traffic.
- Higher Brand Recognition: If people visit your website and see that it has a high-quality design on the homepage, then there’s a good chance they’ll remember this later when considering what to buy from you.
- Higher Quality Website: A good UI/UX designer knows how to hire an appropriate font, the perfect color scheme, and a layout that will increase your business’ productivity.
- Higher Satisfaction Rates For Site Visitors: When people visit your website, they’ll be more likely to stay on it longer if it’s aesthetically pleasing and easy to use.
Besides, 94% of web visitor only relates with the website if its design is up to mark.
Image Source: https://www.paulolyslager.com/7-reasons-better-website-design-services-never-die/
Now, since we know how much it’s essential to carry out a perfect UI/UX designer recruitment process. So, further, in this blog, we will learn some things that you should consider before hiring a UI/UX developer or designer. Let’s start with
A Complete Guide On What UI/UX Designers Do & What To Consider Before Hiring Them!
What UI/UX Designer Do?
These specialists can typically work on large projects where they need UX design and web development skills. Their primary responsibility is to create a site or application that is usable and looks good.
UX designers are responsible for ensuring that the design of a site or application is suitable to meet user needs and expectations. They have an essential role in determining how easy it will be for specific audiences, such as people with disabilities or different levels of education, to use the product.
UI designers are responsible for the look and feel of a site or application. They create everything from logos to buttons, navigation bars, to advertising banners.
What Are The Essential Skills For UI/UX Designers in 2021?
Before hiring the one, you must know the must-have skills for UI/UX designer, such as: are
#1 Skill: The UI/UX designer has to be a problem solver
They’re the ones who will work on the actual design of your app, website, or any other digital product that you have created. That means they’ll need to think about how users will interact with it and what type of information needs to get across to make your product as smooth and user-friendly as possible.
#2 Skill: They should be able to think from the perspective of a customer
They’ll need to know how people will use their product to create something that will work well with customers’ needs.
#3 Skill: They should be creative and able to think outside of the box
It’s good if they know current design trends. Knowing what’s out there and how to use it in a way that best suits your needs will give you an edge over competitors who don’t know about these new opportunities for digital products.
#4 Skill: A UI/UX designer needs to have a basic understanding of code
If they know code, they can work with developers to make sure their designs are possible, practical, simple, and effective.
#5 Skill: They should be able to communicate well
They’ll need to work with developers and other designers to come together seamlessly for their design bits and pieces. This means they have an active understanding of how things are expected to fit together, what the different parts will look like, where graphics go on a page or app, and how the final product will look.
#6 Skill: They should be able to use industry-standard software
It is good if they know how to use software like Photoshop or Sketch so that they can create images of your product layouts and other design elements before moving on to the development stage.
#7 Skill: A UI/UX designer needs an understanding of design principles
To create something appealing yet purposeful, they should know design principles such as color theory, typography, and layout guidelines.
What Vital Things Do You Need To Consider Before Hiring a UI/UX Designer?
Image Source: Google
There are many things that you must consider before hiring one UI/UX designer for your next web project, such as:
1. The UI/UX designer should collaborate and be able to work with you
UI/UX designers are often required to collaborate closely with the client. This collaboration process can take a considerable amount of time- something that not all designers will have patience for.
While it’s essential to find an expert who is open-minded enough to adapt their design to the client’s feedback, it is also critical that they can efficiently work with you. If someone can’t work with you, they won’t be a good fit for your business.
2. They should have enough experience and expertise
It doesn’t matter what qualification or degrees one has; if they don’t have the necessary experience for your project, it will be challenging to work with them and get what you need.
3. Must understand your needs
They should be clear with what is expected of them from the very beginning to avoid any confusion or miscommunication later on down the line.
4. The UI/UX designer should have the right personality for your business culture
It sounds like a no-brainer, but one’s work style or social skills can be drastically different from another person’s and cause severe conflicts in the workplace. For example, some designers may require more autonomy than others which will clash with an organization that values hierarchy.
5. Able to meet your deadlines
You must find a developer who can work quickly and efficiently so as not to cause any unnecessary delays in the project timeline- they must understand how much time they have at their disposal, what their deadlines are, and whether or not.
6. Must have a good communicator
Communication is of the utmost importance for both parties to feel comfortable with one another. Besides, it ensures that there will not be any miscommunication or confusion during the project development period. You’ll need to make sure that the designer can communicate with you and other team members and collaborate effectively.
7. Able to work independently
Don’t hire a freelancer who requires constant feedback or input from the client- this will only slow things down due to having to wait for your responses before moving on in their design process.
8. Work on multiple projects at once
They need to have the ability and the time and bandwidth to take on more than one project at once to keep up with their deadlines without compromising the quality or integrity of work. They should also maintain a high level of quality and integrity with the various projects they have going at any given time.
9. Well-rounded in their skill sets
A freelancer should know more than just one thing, as this will allow them to offer you customized services that fit your needs.
10. Open-minded and adaptable to feedback
While it’s crucial for freelancers to have their own opinions about design, they also need the ability to listen and adjust when necessary to meet your expectations—this is what will make them an ideal candidate for you as the client!
Steps to Hire UI/UX Designers
The steps to hire UI/UX designers are not complex, but you should know the qualities that make a good one. Here’s what you need to do:
#1. Research & Discovery
The first step is to research and find a freelance designer who can provide you with your business’s services. You may need them for web design, mobile app design, UX/UI consulting, or other related services.
You’ll want to take time to research all of the designers available to make sure that they’re qualified for the job. You’ll want to consider things like:
- What are their qualifications?
- How long and what have they been in this profession?
- Do they specialize in a specific design area, or are they versatile and knowledgeable about different fields?
#2. Deliverables & Production
Once you’ve narrowed down your choice of designers, it’s essential to clarify what the deliverables will be and how they will be produced. You’ll want to find out if the designer is comfortable delivering a final product in any specified period or if their work has flexible deadlines.
If this all sounds complicated, don’t worry! Here’s a simple checklist to help you make your decision:
- What’s the turnaround time for the project?
- How much experience does this designer have with managing deadlines and communicating about them?
- Does this designer offer revision or other services that are included in their price quote? How many rounds of changes will be made before they charge you more?
#3. Portfolio, Sketch files, Previous Work
Go and ask for a portfolio of the designer’s previous work- this will help you get an idea of whether or not they’re qualified for your project.
It’s important to remember that it is okay if you don’t like what you see in their portfolio, as long as they can provide another solution and answer any questions that you have about their past work.
It’s also crucial for them to provide a sketch file or wireframe of your desired design- this will help you get an idea of the overall vision they’re trying to convey, and it’ll keep them on task when it comes time for revisions.
Lastly, previous work can be helpful because you’ll know that they have experience with your project- this will make you more confident in hiring them and show that they’re reliable.
#4. Tools & Workflow
It’s also essential to find out about the designer’s tools and workflow- this will tell you whether or not they’re a good fit for your company.
You’ll want to make sure that their products are compatible with the software and hardware that you use, as well as any of your preferred design programs like Photoshop or Sketch. This is also important because it will show you if they’re a good fit for your company.
You should also ask about their workflow- this will tell you what time of day and how often they start work on projects, and whether or not deadlines are included in the price quote. It’s always best to know these details ahead of time so that there are no surprises later!
What Questions To Ask During The UI/UX Designer Recruitment Process?
- What is your process for doing design work?
- How do you typically handle feedback from clients?
- Can I meet with a past client of yours to get their thoughts on the process and results?
- Do you have any questions to ask me about our project, timeline, budget, or anything else that we’ve discussed so far?
- How long will it take to see some design work in the form of wireframes or prototypes, etc.?
- What other services might you offer that we haven’t discussed yet?
- Do you have any queries related to our project and timeline which I can answer now?
UI/UX designers are an essential piece of the puzzle for all things digital, like web design. It’s not a bad idea to conduct thorough research and try out different options before deciding on one.
Hiring somebody is also about more than just their skillset; make sure you’re comfortable working with them. Remember that your ultimate goal should always be to create a website that meets your needs and goals.
How much does it cost to hire a UX designer?
Hiring UX/UI Designers May Cost You:
- Average Salary (SGD) UX Designer UI Designer
- Entry Level (< 1 yr exp) $37,000 $42,000
- Mid-Level (1-4 yrs exp) $51,000 $52,000
- Senior Level (5-9 yrs exp) $62,000 $54,000
What skills do UX designers need?
Here are must-have skills for UX designers:
- UX research
- Wireframing and UI prototyping
- UX writing
- Visual communication
- User empathy
- Interaction design
Is UX UI design in demand?
According to a LinkedIn report, UX design is one of the top five in-demand. Their survey respondents also expected their design teams to grow by an average of 21%. This survey also cites UI/UX designers as the most in-demand product design job.